Sunday, June 3, 2012

Zip-lining!


Saturday, June 2, 2012, 5:30pm

Argh! I had the whole blog typed out, but with a few bad keystrokes I managed to delete the whole thing! I’m typing on the iPod and now I know that I should copy my work from time to time so as not to lose it all. 

Today was a group activity day! We woke up at 4:45 to get to school by 6:15 to take the chartered bus to Tierras Enamoradas (Lands in Love) Hotel and Resort, two hours west of San Jose.  There we did some extreme zip-lining! I wasn’t especially excited at first, since I’ve zip-lined quite a bit, but this place was great! Apart from the normal zip-lining through the tropical forest, a thrill any day, we did a Tarzan swing and a Superman flight!  Both are exactly what they sound like: a giant cable swing and a half-mile stomach-down flight over a gorgeous tropical forest.  The operators were excellent! They learned all of our names and spoke in Spanish if you could understand it.  They had great senses of humor :)  Ronnie noticed my thrill-loving nature early on and always took the opportunity to elicit a delighted scream: shaking the cable as I went in for a zip-line landing or giving an extra spin or drop on the Tarzan swing.

After lunch it rained (is anyone surprised at this point?) and we took a break and relaxed and chatted.  I then made good use of the foosball tables :)  I forgot how much I love that game.

A group of peopled decided to continue to Ardenal instead of returning to San Jose with the rest.  It makes sense taking advantage of how far we’ve already traveled, but it was very spontaneous and no one had an overnight bag packed.  Plus there’s a risk that they’ll not get back in time to get ready for class Monday.  A bunch more of us want to go there and spend more time, so I’m heading back to San Jose now!

I just figured out that you can undo typing by shaking the iPod.  Good to know, but unfortunate that it’s too late to retrieve my lost document.

Tonight we’re thinking of going out to the local bars for the first time! I’m legal here :) There are bars literally everywhere in San Jose, so we have many options, but we’re going to try out a jazz cafĂ© about 10 minutes from the house.

I suppose I’ll have to get around to doing that Spanish homework sometime, too… I’m disappointed that there wasn’t more of an opportunity to speak Spanish in the past couple days, but I’m sure doing the homework and next week during class will make up for it.  Until then, I’m going to keep thinking about how I’d say things in Spanish, just for the practice.  I sure need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment