Monday, June 4, 2012

Sightseeing


Sunday, June 3, 2012

Last night we went to the Jazz club.  It featured a great classic rock cover band and I sang along with every song.  I hardly expected a taste of home in the form of Money for Nothing in Costa Rica, but I can appreciate it all the same.  The drink I had was excellent.  It was local, sugar cane liquor and lemon juice with maraschino cherries – I don’t remember what it was called.

Today we woke up late and ventured into downtown San Jose again.  I figured out a nifty way to attach my camera to my jeans, so I was not as afraid to have my camera out and use it today!  I first visited an ATM and withdrew money with surprisingly little effort.  (I have yet to see what kind of international transaction fee I incurred.) We spent most of the morning wandering aimlessly and taking in the sights.  We had lunch at a local sit-down place, Spoon.  The waiter was bad, but the food was pretty good.  I had a carne wrap.  Muy rico!

It started looking cloudy, so we headed to the museums.  We met up with at least 15 of the EWH participants and learned about Costa Rican currency systems, city planning, big cats like leopards and pumas, and pre-Columbian civilization.  It was a wonderful museum; their presentation was excellent.  I’ll be uploading pictures.

Arielle survived the surprise trip to Arenal in good style!  After catching a bus and finding a hostel, they were picked up by a tour group who gave them the best possible experience touring the volcano, visiting the hotsprings and museum, and swimming with a waterfall.  They even helped them get a bus back to San Jose.  If only I had been prepared for that trip I would have loved to have gone, but what we did was fun, too.

Sorry I haven’t been uploading very many pictures!  I have quite a few, but I haven’t found an easy way to upload them.  Blogger is a fan of freezing for extended periods of time when I upload a large photo to a post, then deleting the most recent additions to the post, and then failing to post altogether.  We’re coming straight back from school tomorrow so we can do laundry, and I will figure something out then, and perhaps post this post. 

I haven’t been able to post my posts when I write them.  The girls in the rooms with wifi are already asleep, so I have no access to wifi currently.  There is a small area that spans both rooms in which wifi is usable.  It is not strong enough for me to be able to place a voice call home.  There is one possible location that a call might be possible, but I haven’t tried it because for the past few days I haven’t been able to get my iPod to connect to any wifi, including the variety my laptop can create. 

2 comments:

  1. SO glad you were able to get through to us last night, babe! Even though I didn't actually get to speak to you, it is very comforting to know that you're only a phone call away :) Really enjoying your blog entries! Makes me feel like I'm right there with you!!

    Your mama loves you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention to you that I proctored for Sr. Zelaya today & she said to tell you hi & that she is so proud of you for doing this summer studies program! She hopes you have an excellent time :)

    ReplyDelete