Monday, May 28, 2012

Departure’s Eve


It has finally come.  I am leaving for San José, Costa Rica tomorrow morning.  Today has been a race to pull all of my packing efforts together and be ready to walk out the door.  

I drew up my packing list last week, and over the course of this week the items on the list accumulated in little heaps on my bedroom floor, meaning that packing today merely involved tossing it into the suitcase.  There were a few items I had to track down, like my calculator, which ran off when I was helping my sister with homework last week. 

Packing for a flight is not a task I have had much practice with.  The last time I flew on a plane I had just graduated the sixth grade and still had Mommy checking to make sure I hadn’t forgotten my underwear.  I am spoiled rotten being driven to and from college in a spacious minivan with room for all of my things.  I knew this going in, and resolved to take a few tips from my experienced friends. 

It went smoothly, and I was left with more room left over than I expected.  Who’s the novice flier now?  Then I picked up the suitcase and instantly knew it would never meet the weight requirement.  I saw two options: shuffle items from suitcase to carry-on (and facing the nightmare 4 oz. bottles in quart-sized bags regulations), and remove unnecessary items.  As loathe I was to consider either, I chose a combination of the two.  I didn’t really need that extra pair of shoes, or that other nice outfit… I guess I’m accustomed to variety.  I removed my purse from my bookbag/carry-on to use as a “personal item,” and stuffed it to capacity.  I moved all shoes to my carry-on.  I also separated out all items in my toiletries that cannot go in the carry-on and segregated them away in the suitcase.  Now, if when I turn up to the airport and my bag, by chance, is overweight, I will have but one item to move.  As a last resort, I have another HUGE bag, one huge enough to contain my bookbag and a bit extra, that I can bust out and through random stuff in until it’s under the limit.  I really hope it doesn’t come to this.  Tomorrow is going to be hectic enough.  Those baggage guys don’t mess around.  If it’s over they just charge you an extra $90 and go about their business.

I am going to get to the airport 2 hours early, at 9:30.  I will not have any unforeseen challenges keep me from my flight.  I have books many books waiting to be read to keep me occupied until boarding. 
 
I will have my camera out and be taking pictures from the start tomorrow.  Get excited!  I know I am!  But I best get to sleep or I will be a zombie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment